9.11.2009

9/11/09


This day of rememberance has always left my heart heavy. I will never forget where I was, what I was doing or how I was feeling. I will never forget my visit to NYC just over a month after the attacks. I will never forget the site. I will never forget the smell. Oh, the smell. I will never forget the mourners. The still standing church just mere feet from the rubble. I will never forget the photo's of victims...some already declared dead. Some "missing". Walking up and down the streets surrounding the WTC was perhaps the most humbling experience of my life.

But this day, 9/11/09, will be a day I remember forever for the good things it brought.

The boy started Preschool today at The Toledo Zoo. We've been talking about it a lot in hopes of preparing him to go to school, with people he doesn't know, without mommy or daddy. He did a SUPER job. He instantly made friends with a boy named Jake. When the teachers arrived and told all of the kids to hang onto the rope, my son abliged without any argument. I wasn't aware he could follow instructions.

He held the rope (if one of the kids drops the rope, the group stops) all the way into the school. He didn't look back. He didn't cry. Meanwhile, I was standing around the corner (peeking) with tears streaming down my face.

I finally got in my car and headed to my next destination. St. Anne's Mercy Cancer Center.

2 weeks ago I experienced sharp shooting pains in my left breast which lasted for about 2 hours. I scheduled an appointment with my GP and she felt a large mass, and ordered a diagnostic mammogram and ultrasound.

At 10am this morning, I had both tests. I have been a NERVOUS WRECK for 2 weeks. There is history of breast cancer on both sides of my family. Not first degree relatives, but 2nd and 3rd.

Since my tests were "diagnostic" and not just preventative, the radiologist read the results immediately.

Turns out I do have a cyst. A PREFECTLY NORMAL LOOKING CYST. So normal, in fact, that they said no further tests or procedures were necessary.

So, thank goodness. My 2 week breast cancer scare is over.

I DO NOT HAVE BREAST CANCER. I DO NOT HAVE BREAST CANCER.

I.DO.NOT.HAVE.BREAST.CANCER.

*breathe*

1 comment:

Katie said...

Z looks so grown up in that photo! Glad he's enjoying preschool, M loves her new "official" preschool class, too.

And I'm going to sound totally alarmist and like a Debbie Downer but, please, please, please consider pushing for a biopsy of your cyst. 2 women in my office (one only 35 years old at the time of diagnoses, the other in her mid-50s) have gone through hell because of a miss-diagnosed cyst. Their stories have scared me to a point that I screamed and shouted until my insurance paid for a mammogram for me at age 31 so I could have a baseline since my grandmother had BC.

http://www.kakakakaty.com/2009/07/13/ladies-schedule-your-mammograms/