3.23.2009

How do I love thee

My posting has been a bit lax as of late. I had no way of knowing how much “having a family” would interfere with my procrastinating.

We are settling into a family routine and I must say I LOVE IT!

My husband has been working with his brother every day since losing his job. Which is good and bad. The good…he’s working. YAY! The bad…he’s racking up miles on his truck and we’ve already had a $408 repair bill for a new water pump...which is a whole other story.

Anyway, he is done early enough to pick the boy up on his way home. I’m on morning drop off duty, which I don’t love, but it beats having to do drop off AND pick up.

We all arrive home around the same time each night. I typically cook dinner and leave the 2 of them to eat and play while I scurry off to the gym. I love having the opportunity to go to the gym every day. When I return, I scarf down dinner and have nearly an hour of play time with the boy before bedtime. I love this new schedule.

On the weekends we have been doing things as a family, as well as giving each other a break to do whatever we want. Last Saturday we went to the Ann Arbor Hands on Museum. The boy and I have been several times, but this was the first time Daddy was able to join us. Daddy loved it! I purchased a membership since we still have money flowing in. We had a great time and also hooked up with an old friend (thanks FB) for lunch. The boy really took to her. Sunday, I took the boy to the zoo and to lunch so Daddy could have some time to do things around the house...our electrical was jacked up, our back door was falling off the frame, etc.

This past Saturday we met friends at a park and caught up while the boys played (their boy is 5 1/2 years o ld and only about an inch taller than our boy...ut oh), then we all went to dinner. We tried a new Mexican restaurant called El Nuevo Vallarta . You know how snobbish I am about Mexican restaurants…I admit that this place was pretty good. I’m convinced, however, that it’s somehow related to El Camino .

Sunday morning the boy and I headed to the grocery store – one of his favorite places, my least favorite. We did see 4 Toledo Firemen shopping and stopped to talk to them. They liked the boys frog boots. One of the firemen asked if he was going to turn into a frog, to which my son replied "no, a tadpole first". That's my boy. Thanks Curious George.

Later in the day Sunday, daddy and the boy played outside and gave me some time. I have been dying for new living room furniture, and did manage to get a new tv stand, but since we can’t afford a whole room of new stuff right now, I settled for re-arranging and cleaning everything. This sure helped! I have felt lately like clutter is taking over my house and I'm determined to beat it.

My back hurts a bit from rearranging furniture, but I’m confident that it’s only temporary and my injections are still working.

I'm thrilled by how much happier I feel. I have a family, I have a bit of freedom, I’m getting exercise, I see my husband more...there's so much RIGHT right now. It seems almost surreal that I would be so happy given our situation.

We’re still living off severance, so we haven’t felt the true effect of living on one income plus unemployment yet, but I feel confident that we will be ok. Especially if his brother's company remains busy. We do have a bit of a nest egg built up, and we can manage on one income plus unemployment wages, we just have to be frugal (WTF is that?) and live on a budget. It can and will be done.

I actually feel sort of like a new person. I am really really loving life right now.

No comments: