1.31.2011

A Lesson for Daddy

My boy and I ran errands on Sunday. Got paint for the Dining Room, looked for new Living Room furniture, got the car washed, picked up a few things at Menards.

Menards had a aisle with random children's toys. The boy found 4 in 1 deluxe city, with roads and all sorts of fun stuff for his Hot Wheels. It was on clearance for $12, so I got it for him.

He was super excited to put it together when we got home, so Daddy sat on the living room floor with him and they opened the box. I watched as they dumped the contents, cars, little packages of tracks, trees, traffic signs, etc on the floor. I headed to the kitchen to put some things away and then upstairs.

I hear my husband make this loud gutteral noise I hadn't heard from him before, and then I hear blood curdling screams and cries from my boy.

I head downstairs to see what had happened. I found the 2 of them in the kitchen, My husband holding my son and holding my son's hand up in the air. The water was running.

I saw blood and pinkish-blood water dripping down my husbands arm and down my son's arm.

"What happened?"

"It's ok, it's ok. It's just a little cut. He's ok." my husband replied, panting.

"How did he get cut?"

"I gave him my knife to cut open the packages."

"You did what? You gave him a knife?"

"Yeah, my Leatherman."

"Huh?"
At this point, my son was sitting on the counter while my husband continued to hold his hand up. My son was sobbing and asking for his mommy.

I crawled under the arms in the air, and hugged my son and patted his back and told him he would be ok. I continued to hug and soothe him.

My husband walked around to my other side and asked me to hold the boy's hand up. I obliged. I'm still bent over, hugging my child who is sitting on the counter, only now I am holding his hand in the air too.

Out of the corner of my eye, I saw my husband moving funny. So, I turned my head to look at him. I watched a series of weird head twitching, stumbling side steps and the next thing I know he is falling backwards. His head and shoulder crash into the counter and he falls to the floor.

I look in disbelief, my boy has stopped crying and is staring at his father on the ground. I'm standing there, looking back and forth at my son, who's hand I am still holding in the air, to my husband who just fell to the ground. What do I do? What do I do? What do I do? My son is cut and my husband is lying on the floor.

I reach to my husband (still holding my son's hand up) and grab his arm. I make my way to his hand and start shaking him, saying his name over and over again.

He opens his eyes.

"Dan, Dan, Dan, are you ok. Honey can you hear me?"

"Yeah, yeah. I'm fine. What are you talking about? What's wrong? What happened?"

"You passed out. Or had a seizure. Or a stroke or something."

"I did?" He looks around, and sees that he is on the floor. He gets up off the floor. He is pale as a ghost and panting.

He reaches in the fridge for water. I turn back to my son and notice that the cut has stopped bleeding. I look at my husband again.

"Did you just splash water on your face?" I ask.

Panting, "No, why?"

"Oh my gosh, you are covered with sweat then."

He stands there and steadies himself. I go back to my son. I take the paper towel off his finger and get ready to put Neosporin on the cut and wrap it.

I look at my husband again and and he is so pale he is almost green. I send him to sit down with water and a granola bar.

I wrap up my sons finger, give him a Tylenol, pick him up and head to the living room to hug him on the couch for a while. My husband is laying on the floor. Not passed out, but still green.
After a few minutes, he gets up, his color is normal and he joins us on the couch.
I asked if he thought it was a good idea to give him the Leatherman.
"No."



No comments: