5.17.2011

1,825 days, 43,800 hours, 2,628,000 minutes

How is it possible that you are 2 million, six hundred twenty eight thousand minutes old?

How did this happen so quickly?

My baby who had screaming fits every night at 7pm between 5 and 8 weeks old. My baby who slept through the night (10-12 hours at a stretch) at 12 weeks old and never looked back. My baby who used to squeal and kick his feet when he was so happy, whose squeal sounded like a pteradactyl and I couldn't get enough of it. My baby who always ate like a champ unless he wasn't feeling well. My baby who's first words "nana (banana), cuh (Booka - one of our cats) and more" were spoken at 8 months old.

You grew up so quickly. From walking, to really talking (and never stopping), to learning to feed yourself (and never stopping) to skipping and hopping, to writing and reading (some), to learning basic math.

Every time I see you my face lights up. You are the light of my life. The photos in my office at work make me smile each and every time I look at them. Writing this blog post is making me grin from ear to ear, because I am thinking and talking about you.

You tell knock knock jokes that usually make absolutely no sense, yet I love every one of them and laugh hysterically each time.

You insist on sitting on my lap on the couch at cartoon time before bed. I tease that you need to find another place to sit and that I am not a chair...but I love every minute of it. You fit perfectly. It's like you were born to be there.

I lay in bed with you at night, after books and lights out, for about 20-30 minutes and we make up stories while I rub your sore legs (growing pains are real, who knew). There's almost always a car or truck in the stories. It could start with a turtle or a stuffed animal or planet and will end with a fire truck, police car, or dump truck. I don't think you will ever stop loving cars and trucks.

You are full of endless amounts of energy. At the park/zoo/imagination station, we play for hours. You love to help around the house and are first in line to use the swiffer, vacuum cleaner, or dust wipes. You LOVE to clean the toilet!

You love to ride your bike but say you never ever want to take your training wheels off. But, guess what, we're going to try it without them this summer! You are really getting into basketball and playing catch with a baseball. Mommy could care less about sports or sports teams, and especially watching any sport on tv, but played basketball, softball and volleyball and can show him a few of the ropes.

You love love love rough-housing with daddy. Daddy often takes you to the "swamp" with your Jeep. You like to drive the trails and get out and explore in the woods. You always tell me about all of the frogs and toads you see. You love to help daddy build things or use tools. You also love riding on his shoulders. You love when daddy is in charge of feeding you lunch or dinner because you get to eat junk.

You tell me that you want to marry me, that I am your best friend and that you want to live with me forever. You also tell me that I am the best Mommy in the whole wide world. I get so many hugs and kisses in a day, it's hard to count. But I could always use more. Each one makes my heart smile. You know how much I love your kisses and you sometimes you use them as deal makers. "Mommy, if we can do {insert activity here} or if I can have {insert food or new toy here}, I will give you a kiss".

You are still a milk-a-holic. At home you've never had juice, pop, etc. At school you get juice or fruit punch once a week. And you've had lemonade and love it. On special occassions I let you have chocolate milk. You eat darn near anything. I nearly threw up a few weeks ago when you couldn't get enough mussels. You and your dad were going to town on them and I was horrified and proud at the same time. I would say shrimp is one of your absolute favorite things. You love junk but you also love fruits and vegetables, so I guess it's pretty balanced. You love eggs, meat, chicken, fish, and most seafood. You are not a big fan of pork and your love of cheese comes and goes.

You remember everything, yet you often forget to slow down and remember the rules. You get in trouble frequently at school for not listening, not paying attention, not keeping your hands to yourself. We go through phases where you will earn a "green" every day for weeks on end, and then you'll get three "reds" in a row. When I ask you what would have been a better way to handle whatever you got in trouble for, you give me the right answers, so I know you know...you just don't stop and think. It's a guy thing.

You want to be a "Monster Truck Fire fighter Policeman" and a "worker" (construction/building) when you grow up. If there's anyone in the world who can be a Monster Truck Fire fighter Policeman - it's you.

I could talk about you for days. But instead I'm just going to end with a great big HAPPY 5TH BIRTHDAY to my handsome young man. I love you more than words.

No comments: