1.05.2009

Oh crap!

It's official. I think I am having a mid-life crisis.

2 weeks ago, I got a new tattoo. I've been wanting another one for a long time and finally got around to doing it.

Last Wednesday, I went to see a Chiropractor. I have been needing to see one for many years - I think the last time I saw one was 2001. My back has progressively gotten worse since having a child, but I rarely take time to take care of myself so I have been letting is slide. This isn't really a "mid-life crisis" thing...but it is something unusual.

Last Friday, I got about 8 inches of hair cut off & my nose pierced.

I've done absolutely nothing to try to lose weight recently. But that is going to change too. This fat person isn't me. I'm over it. It's time for a new me.

I'm not really sure if this is a mid-life crisis as I'm only 38 (gonna be 39 in a few weeks - ick), I think it's more of a "boring mom crisis". Boring ME crisis. What happened to ME crisis. I think a lot of women go thru that phase...after having a child...where you put everyone and everything else before you. True, true, my son is nearly 3 years old...and I do buy a lot of things and that is self indulgent, but I rarely do anything to "take care" of myself. Well, I'm over it. It's time for a new me.

*****
We got a letter - or, rather, a MEMO - from my husband's employer. They are closing the location where he works. There were rumblings that this was going to happen, so we knew, but it didn't become official until we received the MEMO, on plain white paper, on December 31st. Happy Friggin New Year. The "permanent layoff" is effective March 1, or within 2 weeks after. So, he'll be unemployed. Unless he finds another job, that is. Which is a great possibility since there are so many darn good opportunities out there (insert sarcasm here).

A national statistic. Yippee.

A few weeks ago his employer announced a 10% paycut, across the board, in an effort to keep people employed. The pay cut became effective on January 1st. So, we're coping with 10% less money until March 1st, and then 50% less (unemployment), which will actually equal 60% less than he was making on December 31st, thanks to the 10% pay cut. So, yippee. We're going to try to live on my income plus 40% of my husbands previous income. This should be, um, interesting, to say the least.

Of course, we have completely mixed feelings about this. On the one hand...he's been wanting to get out of there FOREVER, and has been looking for a new job for some time. The need to leave was exacerbated by recent events involving physical harm to my husband by a subordinate, which resulted in some unpaid time off and a slap on the hand for the assailant and basically no support or protection for my husband from the company. And on the other hand...well, you can guess. Unemployed = less $. There are opportunities within the company, if we want to relocate. I really don't have a problem relocating...but not for this employer. Forfuckingetit.

It is interesting to see the change in my husband though. Knowing his time there is coming to an end. He's happier. He's sleeping better. He's more agreeable and less arguementative. So, I am going to think positive - and call this a good thing.

Of course, if he doesn't find a job right away we will save on childcare as the boy will be home with Daddy a minimum of 2 days per week. And we're confident that the home improvement business will pick up once the weather breaks and once people start receiving tax refunds, so he will be able to supplement by working with his brother. It will be ok. Really, it will. I do, sortof, feel like I have to keep saying that though. It.Will.Be.OK.

We're not broke. We do have a nest egg. He will likely get a severance. We aren't in debt up to our eyeballs. BUT.STILL. Who wants to go through this?


So, all of my talk about being on a budget and learning how to curb my spending...well, now it's a reality. And that's ok. And my vehicle lease is up on March 1st. What timing. My plan is to get something before March 1st, that way they won't know we are in the poor house. Without 2 incomes, I can't get what I want, but I can get another Altima. And I do like my Altima. So, there, it's settled. Unless of course, he finds a new job making lots n lots of fat cash, then I will get the car I want.

Surprisingly, there have been quite a few nearby positions that my husband seems suited for - but we have to remember that there are, oh, about 500 thousand other people applying for those same jobs. Humf.

*****

This past weekend, we tackled Potty Training. We talked about it with the boy on Friday night. He seemed hip to trying to use the potty the next day. We've talked about it for several months, and every once in a while he has wanted to sit on the potty, but we never encouraged it. I really don't want this to take forever. I have friends who say their child(ren) took a year to potty train! No thanks!!! I want it to be done in a weekend and move on.

Anyway, Saturday morning rolled around and after he ate breakfast and drank some milk, we took off and said good bye to his diaper, sat on the potty, and then put on big boy underwear. About every 15-20 min, we asked if he had to go potty. And about every half hour or so we went into the bathroom and sat on the potty, just to see if there was anything in there ("my penis is empty, mommy"). He successfully peed on the potty after about the third time sitting on it, he was very excited! He did have 2 accidents in his underwear. But, as soon as he started going, he told me he was going, and we ran to the bathroom. He peed in the potty again before his nap. For his nap, he wore a pull-up, which he hates. Since I already knew he hated them, I called them "sleep underwear". He thought that was ok, and agreed to put them on.

After his nap (he woke up dry!!) we changed into big boy underpants and spent the rest of the day asking, trying, and going. His typical poop timeframe rolled around (right after dinner, go figure) and when I heard a "toot" we headed to the bathroom. We read books and held our hand up to our ears to "hear the toots in the toilet" and low and behold...PLOP PLOP. The look on his face was awesome. He told me that he pooped. And sure as shit (pun intended) we looked in the toilet, and there was his poop. He thought that was cool. I was very impressed as I have heard that pooping in the toilet is the hardest part. He's advanced, I can't help it.

Day number 2 went just about the same as day number 1. A couple accidents in the underwear, but a pretty successful day with several pees on the potty and a poop too. And day 3 was spent at the sitter. She said he had 1 accident.

Since this kid is motivated by food, his rewards for peeing = doritos, and reward for pooping = kitkats.

He is doing such a great job and I am so very impressed and proud of my big boy. I realize that, going forward, my days with him are going to be spent asking if he has to go to the bathroom, but I'm so sick and tired of changing diapers and having all that crap (pun, again intended) in my house. I can't wait to throw away the changing pads and diaper champs. Can't.Wait.

Plus, hello, cost savings! No more diapers! Hopefully the 20 pair of underwear I bought him last until Daddy gets a job. Ha ha.



No comments: