5.09.2008

Thank you, Mr Bush, for forcing me to add "frugal" to my vocabulary. pfft.

As I was pumping gas into my husband's truck, at $3.75 9/10 per gallon, I thought to myself...WTF is going on here? I remember complaining about gas being too expensive when it was $2.65. Yet, there I stood...with no other choice. The tank was on E (thanks honey). And I had to take the Boy to the sitter and get to work yet. I had to stop and get gas.

I arrived at work, miraculously on time, and checked my bank account as I always do first thing in the morning. Our economic stimulous check had arrived. Yippee. But, actually, it dawned on me...they can keep that money if they lower the gas prices back down to $2.65.

I try to buy some organic foods for my family: organic milk, organic meats and organic eggs. We eat a lot of crap and a lot of processed foods, but we also eat a lot of fresh fruits and veggies. I don't bother with organic fruits and veggies though. Since I've added the organic foods to our grocery list, I have made cutbacks elsewhere. I try to buy off brand or sale items, and I've stopped buying WW Smart Ones for Michelena's Lean Gourmet frozen meals for lunches. The Lean Gourmet's are only a buck each. So, that helps.

After paying our last Columbia Gas bill ($498!), I decided we needed to start cutting back on some of our expenditures. So, I emailed our cleaning lady and told her we needed to cut back to 1 time per month. Guess what? She doesn't do monthly cleaning schedules. Only weekly or biweekly. WTF am I going to do? I'm not going to spend my weekends cleaning like I used to do. I can't do it. And I'm not just going to let it slide like I also used to do when I didn't feel like spending my entire weekend cleaning. I think I might have to keep her on the biweekly schedule. What else can I cut back on?

I really, honestly, have cut back on my spending. Before Boy I bought a new pair of shoes and/or a handbag (and not from Target either people...pricey) every month. I don't do that anymore. Sure, I did just buy 2 pair of expensive flats...but I *needed* them. And I didn't get that Coach bag that was consuming my thoughts. I'm selling stuff on Ebay...some of those shoes and handbags. Yepper.

I can't cut our cell phone bills. I don't know how I would live without texting. I guess I could cancel our home phone. I can start with long distance, since we never use it and the bill is more of a nuisance than anything. I could cancel our life insurance policies. Or, maybe that's not such a good idea. I do need to shop around for cheaper insurance for my car...I think we're getting boned.

It's not that we're going broke here or anything. I just feel like we are needlessly throwing money out the door. I don't want to be frugal. Hell, I'm not even sure I know how to be. And I certainly don't like the idea of being forced to add "frugal" to my vocabulary. I'm feeling very confused.

In closing...we received our info package from our local Montessori school. Can you say $10k per school year? I'm going to go list everything I own on Ebay. *sigh*

No comments: