6.17.2008

8 days

8 days since my last blog entry. What's going on, you ask?

Bad first: A good friend lost her father on Friday. 2 days before Father's day. He had been sick but the family and Dr's were hopeful and then he just got too sick and lost the fight. I am so very sad for her and her family. I think about my friends - my close friends - who have lost a parent in the past several years and there are a lot of them. Most of my friends aren't even 40 years old yet - or just barely over 40 - we're too damn young to lose our parents. TOO DAMN YOUNG!

So, father's day got me thinking. My dad is 73 years old. He's had some health problems over the years, a double bypass, hip replacement and a few other less severe things. I am very thankful that he is here. I am thankful that I see him often. I am thankful that while we are a completely dysfunctional family that we are close and we know - even though it is rarely said - how much we love one another. I often have a real negative attitude when it comes to my family - and I know it is due mostly in part to the fact that my brother and I do not get along. Now, when I say that we don't get along, I mean that when we are in the same room together - it as if we don't even see one another. That type of dysfunction can make a person pretty grumpy.

I have a great life. I have a great marriage. I have a great family. It's time to turn that grumpiness into positiveness. I am hoping that the more I talk about it, the better it will be. I have an appointment with the OBGYN on Friday to get "The Monster" (Mirena) removed, which I can only assume has contributed to this negative attitude. I am hoping there is a light at the end of the tunnel.

And now the good: My neighbor's house is for sale. My son wanted to go for a walk. Actually, he wanted to pull our cooler down the sidewalk. So, the neighbors house is being shown to perspective buyers as we walk by. My 2 year old is hauling a full size wheeled cooler behind him. He stops, waves and exclaims "Hi People!" One of the ladies gasps, hand over her mouth. "OMG. He's so cute". Zane says "what's your name?". "My name is Mary" she says. "I'm Zane" he points to his chest. He points to me "Who's that?". Mary says...."Is that your mommy?". "Yes. That's mommy". "Mommy, say hi to the people". "Hi" I say. Embarrassed, because my child is social and I am not. Mary, still standing there in awe..."How old is he". "I'm 2" says Zane. I tell Zane we should keep walking and let the people get back to what they were doing. "Ok. Bye Everybody" he says. They all exclaim "Bye Zane". Zane looks at me "say bye to the people mommy". Mommy, tail between legs "Bye."

My child. The social butterfly. He gets this from his Grandmother. If there would have been some beer in that cooler maybe I would be more social too.

No comments: