10.14.2008

Disorder(s)(ly)(ed)

It really is a problem. Compulsive Shopping. I admit I have a problem. I think that's the first step...admitting it. I am trying to correct it. Really. I am.


I haven't purchased anything for myself since 10/2. I did buy 2 sweatshirts for my son. He needed them. Last years no longer fit. And a new pair of shoes for him. I purchased a really nice pair of leather shoes on endless.com for him a month or so ago. They're black leather with a brown stripe on them. I bought them with the intent that they would be his every day shoes - covering the black or brown shoe dilemma I often have. After a week of wearing these to the sitter...they were showing signs of wear. 1 week. $69 toddler shoes. Scuffed. I was not thrilled, to say the least. But, honestly, what did I think would happen? Did I think [hope] my son wouldn't "play" in these shoes? Did I think [hope] he would tip-toe around and avoid dirt and concrete and whatever sticky/gross/gooey stuff kids attract? COME ON. USE YOUR BRAIN! So, in an effort to save my sanity over these shoes staying "nice", I purchased a very cute pair of brown leather (cheap leather - not "Handmade in Italy" leather [help me]) shoes at Sears. These are his every day/play/baby sitter shoes.


The failing economy is making me increasingly nervous, and I KNOW that I have to change my spending habits in order for my family to survive. I used 2 coupons at the grocery store on Sunday. I haven't used coupons in...um...ever. I do make a habit of only buying items on sale, or store-brand items, as I'm not really very brand loyal when it comes to grocery items. I will not, however, skimp on organic milk, organic meat, or organic eggs. I am going to make an effort to use coupons for my weekly grocery trips. I have considered giving Aldi another try, but I really have no desire (or time) to go to more than 1 grocery store each week.

I have been eating lunch out about once a week, which is always a visit to Pam's for a regular kitchen sink salad, a cup of soup and a Diet Coke. It costs around $12. That's $48 a month that I could save if I pack my lunch. Or at least cut back to every other week or just once per month. I do love her salads. And soup. And her canned Diet Coke is the best. :) I do love supporting local businesses, but I am going to try and cut back.

I'm not going to quit WW. Although, I do need to take it more seriously.

We leave for Niagara Falls on Friday. I am not in any way prepared for this trip. This is very uncharacteristic of me. I typically have lists made, directions and itineraries printed, suitcases out, etc by now.

We come back on Monday. Hubby and I are both off Tuesday and are taking the boy to the sitter. Hubby is going to re-side our garage (or at least the 1 side he can get to easily) since he's had the necessary materials for about 6 months now, and I am going to take loads of crap to Goodwill/Salvation Army. I am also going to donate about a thousand pairs of shoes to Soles for Souls. Some of the clothes I am donating have been on my 3rd floor since I lost weight with WW 5 years ago! Thankfully these clothes are all still way too big...but what on earth am I keeping them for? It's things like this that make me crazy. But I feel like I never have time to do things like this. I am taking the time. Tuesday, October 21st. It's gone. It's all gone. Besides...I want the tax credits, so it has to be donated soon anyway.

The boy is getting taller and therefore thinning out (he's not really very big around anyway, despite the way he eats). He has 3 pair of pants that fit around the waist and in length. He has 4 pair of pants that still fit in the length (good enough for the sitter anyway) but are absolutely enormous around the waist. I'm giving them to goodwill. He does have 3 pair of sweatpants that fit as well...so I am trying not to run out and buy him new pants. I am TRYING.

I am obsessing over a pair of boots, a new cell phone and 2 tattoos...but I am making myself earn them. Weight Watchers style.

4 comments:

Brent said...

Coupons are the best!! It'll take a little while, but you'll start to figure out the system (just about then the coupon is set to expire, the item sometimes goes on sale - voila double savings).

You can get really wrapped up in it and go to multiple stores, I used to. But now it's just Kroger and TJs for certain products. I just check the ad before I go and whatever is on sale (if it's a good sale) I stock up on that week. So yeah, your grocery list can look a little crazy sometimes, but hey it's a deal and frees up $ for other stuff. Sure, I look a bit nutty buying two cases of campbells soup, but with the sale price and my coupon(s) they were only $.35 a can - how can you say no? I usually am able to save about 50% each week on my grocery bill. Is it wrong when the cashier congratulates you each week for how much you've saved and says how impressed she is?

But I agree, some things I am unwillng to skimp on. I will never go back to regular eggs, they are gross to me now. The organic cage free taste so much better!!

Brent said...

Oh, and never, never cut back on Pam's :)

m2z said...

Um. I don't think I can get that crazy and buy 2 cases of campbells soup. What on earth would I do with it. I hate going to the grocery store and I hate taking extra time to prepare for it, but hopefully I can make the coupon thing work. I just don't have the time or desire to really get that into it...

Oh yes...organic cage free eggs taste way better...so does organic meat and definitely organic milk. RE Organic Milk...I even buy 1/2 gallons instead of gallons...it's more expensive that way, but Z likes to get the milk out of the fridge himself and can't really navigate a gallon!

Brent said...

It really doesn't take that long to get ready for the store. I used to spend two hours comparing coupons and store sales and making a plan. Now I just clip the coupons Sunday morning (5 minutes) and spend 5 minutes checking the Kroger ad before I go and still manage to save a ton of money every week (about $50) for 10-15 minutes of extra effort. And you save the most $ on packaged foods, which we buy little of, but I'm assuming you do b/c of Z. Cereal, hot dogs, granola bars, canned items, and frozen food are where you can really clean up. Oh yeah and toothpaste and hot sauce - I know, weird, but I've never paid more than $.25 for either and buy name brands.

I did the organic milk thing once or twice, while it was yummy, it was expensive. I guess with as little milk as we use (rarely drink it, mostly used in cooking) it didn't seem worth it for us.