10.01.2008

Doctors. Dreaded Scales. Duds.

I really don't want to jinx it. But, I have to give props to a few new products that were recently recommended to me by my lovely friend Meg.

I do hope that saying these things out loud this soon does not come back and bite me in the butt.

I've been battling adult acne since I was 29 years old. 9 years now (yes, that makes me 38, shut up). I have been to a slew of dermatologists who have prescribed not only medication but whacky diets, I've tried Proactive, and just about every other OTC acne product on the market. Sure, some of them have seemed to work...for a very short period. But, the acne always comes back - and sometimes with more vengence than ever - even while still using said product.

So, Meg told me she hasn't had such clear skin since she was a kid. I asked what she was using. The following combo: Dr. Hauschka's Cleansing Cream, Jurlique Calendula Cream, Kiehl's Non-Detergent Washable Cleanser and Kiehl's Calendula Herbal Extract Alcohol Free Toner.

I'm not entirely sure...but I think the key ingredient here is "calendula".

The Dr. Hauschka's Cleansing Cream is a bit strange, I'll admit. It smells a bit like vomit, and you press it onto your face with your fingers and palms. It's weird at first, but easy to get used to. After just ONE day I saw a difference in my skin. The Jurlique Calendula Cream has a funny smell and an odd color, but feels lovely on your skin.

I've used Kiehl's products off and on for years and find them to be wonderful, although they haven't always done what I have needed them to do. I do love the way the cleanser makes my skin feel and the toner feels great too.

I don't know if it's 1 product, or a combination of the products, but my skin has not been this healthy in...9 years, perhaps. Acne scabs (disgusting, I know) I've had for months are gone. I've had a couple new pimples pop up...but they are gone within a couple days. My skin is glowing. I'm so thrilled. Thank you MEG for the recommendations. I will buy these products until the end of time if they continue to work for me.

Today is WW. I'm using my "no weigh in pass". I sort of fell off the wagon. I'm not exactly sure why, but I stopped journaling. Only 4 weeks into the game and I'm already falling apart. It likely has something to do with the gain last week, and I honestly tried not to let it bother me. But, apparently it has. Humf. I've got the journal out and have journaled my food today, so I'm back on track. I will weigh in next week and deal with what the scale says. I was supposed to have lost 10 lbs by now. Damnit.

Everyone who knows me knows that I HATE SUMMER (weather). Oh sure, I like the activities that summer brings, but I do not like being hot...and I especially hate the clothes. It's very difficult to be comfortable in summer clothes when you are so self conscious about your body. I want to be covered up...ALL THE TIME. Tank tops? Perish the thought. Shorts? Pfft. Needless to say I am very hot in the summer because I simply cannot dress in summer clothing.

So, when I woke up this morning I was DELIGHTED by the temperature. I dug out a pair of black boots, threw on a black sweater and a pair of corduroy gauchos and literally bounced out the door! This is ME people. Boots. Sweaters. Jeans. Tights. Scarves.

Hello Fall. I welcome you with open arms. Ahhh.

No comments: