9.12.2008

Remembering

Well, no, I didn't forget. I could never forget. I just didn't think to blog about it.

I remember exactly where I was and what I was doing when the first plane hit. I remember getting a phone call from my husband telling me about it. I remember passing that information on to co-workers. I remember the comment from an idiot I worked with at the time.

I remember sitting on the floor in the media room. My hand over my mouth, tears streaming down my face.

I remember gathering my things and heading for home. I remember calling my friends in NYC. Over and over and over again. I remember receiving a call from my friend that evening. It seemed like days, weeks, before he called me back. I know it's because it was difficult to communicate at this time. He told me that he and the rest of my NYC friends were ok.

I called my friends in Alexandria. I knew they were ok, but I wanted to make sure.

I remember sitting on the couch, bundled in a blanket - bundled with nerves, watching the tv for days on end. My hand over my mouth, tears streaming down my face.

This was happening in MY city. These were my people. My heart was broken. I was so sad. Yet, I couldn't stop watching. Over and over again. I watched. And I cried.

I remember everything about that day. Despite being in a fog. I even remember what I was wearing.

I remember our trip to NYC in late November. I remember going down "there". I remember seeing the soot that was still on the surrounding buildings. I remember the smell. I remember the memorials. I remember so much that I will never forget.

I remember wandering around down there...hand over my mouth, tears streaming down my face. So many others were doing the exact same thing.

Tears are streaming right now. Only my fingers are typing. They'll be over my mouth soon.

3 comments:

Katie said...

I hope that idiot wasn't my husband...I think you were both at Hanson at that time.

We had just bought our house and hadn't moved in yet. I was there cleaning all morning and didn't hear about it until I was driving to Sam's Club for supplies. I got there and watched the second plane hit, gathered with 50 or so others near the TVs as we watched it unfold on dozens of wide-screens in front of us.

I remember calling Mark in tears saying "something bad is happening - and it's getting closer!" I remeber calling him later and begging him to come home. He was torn between staying there to see what was happening or driving the 10 minutes to our apartment.

It hit closer to you then me (I didn't know anyone in NYC) but I was shaken to the core for days and felt so guilty 2 days later when the movers came - how could we move on when the world had stood still?

m2z said...

No. It was Gene Powell. He will forever be an idiot in my mind.

Katie said...

well, yea. That's because he IS an idiot.