9.25.2008

September 25, 1999


September 25, 1999 at half past 4 in the afternoon, Hidden Lake Gardens, Tipton Michigan.

2 years after we officially started dating, we exchange wedding vows before Uncle Harold.
You see, ours is a love affair that was meant to be.

I met him in the hallway at Adrian High School in 1986. We had a lot of mutual friends, his best friends and my best friends. So, we ended up becoming very good friends and hung out (as a group) a lot. I thought he was a sexy skinny boy with punk rock hair, black chuck high tops, and black trench coat. He was such a rebel.

We hooked up in High School. Several times. Ok, many times. I had major hots for him. I even wrote on my off-white chucks that I loved him.

After graduation, he went off to the USMC. At his going away party, he cut off his long braid and gave it to another girl in our group. I was devastated. Well…to be fair, I was dating another guy and had been for a year or so and ended up engaged to and moving to Florida with this guy. However, I did cheat on this guy with him...every chance I got.

I would see him during leave of absences from the service – and would, you guessed it, hook up with him - no matter who I was dating at the time. I loved him, after all. Plus...he went from skinny punk rock guy to "Holy Shit, look at those MUSCLES!" No matter who I was dating, I always loved him and always hooked up with him when the opportunity {ahem} arose.

He got out of the service, moved to Ann Arbor to attend college, ended up dating a girl and moving to California with her. They broke up and he moved to Arizona, where he continued school. I saw him occassionally over about 4 years...and we hooked up each time. Get this...we were at a party in Grosse Ile Michigan, and my boyfriend at the time was with me. My boyfriend fell asleep on the couch, and I hooked up with HIM in the back room! Gawd. What a slut.

He came home for a mutual friends wedding in the summer of 1997. He was in the wedding and I was invited to the wedding. Neither of us had dates, so we decided (after hooking up the night before) that we would be each others date. Well…that pretty much sealed the deal. He was home for the summer (summer break from school) and we spent every waking and non-waking hour together.

One night, in his parents hot tub after some hot hooking up, I told him “I think I’m falling in love with you” (I knew that I was TOTALLY in love with him, but I didn’t want to scare him), to which he replied “I KNOW I’m in love with you!”

That was it, we were exclusive. We were official. He went back to Arizona to finish school. I went out there as frequently as I could, and he came home whenever he had a break.

The next summer he asked if I would want his mom’s old engagement ring (she got a new one for their 30th). Being the totally spoiled and ungrateful bitch that I am I told him that I didn’t want some used old ring. On my drive home that night, I realized what I had said and what he was TRYING TO SAY. I called him and told him that “yes, of course, I would love to have your mom’s old ring!”

We didn’t talk about it again for a week or so. I felt so terrible. I thought I had really screwed things up. Then I went to pick him up for one of my softball games and he grabbed me and kissed me passionately. There was something in my mouth. Gross! I spit it out…on the ground!

Then I looked on the ground. It was the ring. Wet and dirty, he picked it up and put it on my finger and asked if I would marry him. YESSSSSSS!

Fast forward NINE YEARS. We have a wonderful 2 year old son, 2 cats, a house, and he’s still the LOVE OF MY LIFE. Happy Anniversary, Boo!

2 comments:

Brent said...

But did you guys ever hook up?

m2z said...

Um, no. Obviously.